The Open-Lot wagon is a direct descendant of the four-wheeled pot cart. It was usually built on an existing four-wheeled tradesman’s cart called a dray, and unlike other types is still being built. It was established first as a type by the 1930’s.
It has a bowed, canvas-covered top, a fixed back with shuttered window, a pan-box and a cratch, and an open frame front, whence its name. The bow roof projects to form porches front and back but there is no footboard. The front board of the open lot was often slightly dipped in the center, as though scooped out, to improve access. Two uprights spaced about the width of a normal doorway support the front of the bow with ornate carving above. The front is semi-open, protected by canvas curtains that are laced down the center front when closed for the night. It was sometimes known as the Yorkshire Bow because so many were made and used in that county, especially in the west.
The Open-lot wagons were about 9ft 3in long by 5ft 2in wide with the floor of the wagon about 3ft 4in above the roadway. They were light in weight at around 1600-1700 pounds.